Thursday, September 9, 2010

Duke Nukem. A Point of Interest.

I am not a gamer.

I did own a Playstation 2 though, and I did spend many hours rocking out to Ratchet and Clank, but I never did fall into the culture of it all. The sleepless nights, the online play and the countless headshots were never really my style, and according to my friends I am missing out. They all congregate on X-box Live and share the experience of Call of Duty while I just don't care. It's all past me.

Now enter Duke Nukem: Forever, and I have suddenly become very interested in an aspect of the culture. I remember Duke from my earlier days, and I remember it being a large reason for all the kids in my neighborhood to get together and function. One person owned it, and we all came around to play and play for hours on end. Now Duke Nukem, an icon from my childhood, is looking to have another go in my young adult life. The feeling is exciting yet odd to say the least.

Yet, I am not a gamer, and most likely will not purchase a game console to live a bit nostalgic. I am though fascinated by Duke's comeback story. A game many years in the making, a game that went through so many obstacles, and a game that almost crashed and burned entirely will now see the light of day. Sure, I could relate the story of Duke Nukem: Forever is this blog post, but I am not the best man for the job. No, instead, read the piece Wired did last year. It is full of exciting details. (here)

Reading that piece anyone can cleary see that Duke Nukem: Forever was more than just a sequel. It's makers wanted it to be a complete gaming masterpeice. The standard for which all would be judged by. All of these big ideas for an entire medium encapsulated into one man, chewing on a cigar. Yet, for so long it could not be made possible, and even more interesting has to be the lives of those who worked on Forever. I mean, imagine spending over a decade of your life working on one single project, one single game. Those are the stories that fascinate me even more than the game itself.

Whether Duke Nukem: Forever becomes the greatest game of all time or not, its legacy certainly has an interesting tale to tell. Full of twists and turns, full of conflict and overcoming and a hero in the end this single video game has all the makings for one hell of a story. I know I'm captured, and I'm not even a gamer.

No comments:

Post a Comment