Sunday, August 2, 2009

Ford's Focus - July 20th 2009 to July 28th 2009

Written by: Ford Thomas


COMICS BOUGHT:

*Batman: City Of Crime TP (library)

*Miss: Better Living Through Crime TP (library)

*Epicurus The Sage TP (library)

*Blackest night: Tales Of The Corps #2(of 3)

*Final Crisis: Legion Of Three Worlds #5(of 5)

*Gotham City Sirens #2

*Green Lantern #44

*Supergirl #43

*Wednesday Comics #3(of 12)

*Jack Of Fables #36

*Amazing Spider-Man #600

*Doctor Who #1

*You Have Killed Me HC

*Asterios Polyp HC

*The Adventures Of Sock Monkey TP (borrowed)


COMICS READ:

*everything ‘bought’

*(half of) Asterios Polyp HC


When I woke up this morning I realised that I’m starting to get that 52 feeling with Wednesday Comics. What’s more exciting is that tomorrow is new comic day. New comic day for me used to be anywhere from Thursday afternoon to sometime Saturday and then came along 52. It was a DC experiment that worked, or at least it did for me. It succeeded in getting me down to the shop every week as close to the time the new comics hit the shelves as possible. I even remember a couple of weeks where I would pick up 52 with my last couple of bucks for the week. I was hooked, some weeks were better than others but the prospect of a new instalment the next week written by four of my favourite writers with a rotating cast of good artists who transformed into great artist over the course of the series, this kept me coming back every week.


I’m finding that my Wednesday Comics reading experience is starting to settle into a routine. I flip through it immediately before heading home to read it. With the flip through I’ve found that I stop and read one of two of the strips before getting to the rest of them. The Sgt, Rock strips has been the one that consistently makes me stop and pay attention and read straight away. Not sure what it is about it apart from the obvious, which is Joe Kubert’s art, something that I haven’t always been a fan off. I was a big fan of the Kubert sons (Andy and Adam. Adam writes the Sgt. Rock strip) when I was younger mostly due to my exposure to them on such titles as X-Men and Wolverine.


Neil Gaimen and Mike Allred’s Metamorpho strip has absolutely blown me away the past two weeks with it’s huge one panel pages. It’s been a nice reminder why I stick with Mike Allred through thick and thin. Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner’s Supergirl strip which at first seemed like the odd man out is proving to be a great balance to some of the ‘weightier’ pages. This is great because it shows the great diversity of genres comics can tackle, and within it’s fifteen tales Wednesday Comics delivers action, mystery, adventure, comedy, etc and mostly through using superheros as window to all this.

No comments:

Post a Comment