Monday, June 8, 2009

Ford's Focus - June 1st 2009 to June 7th 2009

Written By: Ford Thomas

COMICS BOUGHT:
*Batman and Robin #1
*Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Tales Of The Vampires
*Jersey Gods #5
*Scalped #29
*Seaguy: Slaves Of Mickey Eye #3(of 3)
*Superman: World Of New Krypton #4
*Four Women #1-5
*My Inner Bimbo TP
*20th Century Boys Vol.1 TP
*Expo 2000 TP
*Blackhawk Annual 1989 #1
*The Phony Pages #1(of 2)
*Ms Tree’s Thrilling Detective Adventures #1,5,7,10,16,19,22, 24, 25, 29

COMICS READ:

*Sloth GN
*The Walking Dead: Compendium TP
*Queen & Country Definitive Edition Vol. 4
*Blue Spring TP
*B.P.R.D. Vol.1: Hollow Earth and Other Stories TP
*Batman and Robin #1
*Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Tales Of The Vampires
*Jersey Gods #5
*Scalped #29
*Seaguy: Slaves Of Mickey Eye #3(of 3)
*Superman: World Of New Krypton #4
*Four Women #1-5

It would have been around the time when I was ten or eleven (twelve or thirteen years ago) when I first came across the cartoon of The Maxx. Most likely it was late on a Saturday night after the weekly anime movie on SBS, which I was probably too young to watch. The following program showcased a motley bunch of cartoons and one night it was The Maxx. Not sure what segment of the cartoon I saw, maybe when Julie goes to pick up The Maxx from jail and his fight with Mr Gone at the gas station later in the episode. But my memory could be impaired from later watching a video of the series too many times.
At the time I wasn’t aware of the comic book that the cartoon was based on, don’t think I even completely understood the Maxx and definitely struggled to get my head around the more mature concepts of the show. I might have gotten to see another fragment of an episode in the following weeks, regardless of whether I did Sam Keith had me as fan before I even knew who he was. Around this time would have been the proper start of my comic reading career, which the early 90’s X-men and Spider-Man cartoons played a big part in. Beforehand I occasionally read what was laying around the house, mostly Disney comics, a few Death of Superman era Superman’s, Classics Illustrated, as well looking at some EC stuff. There were a few brief runs that I bought off the shelf myself such as Spirits of Vengeance (and a couple of Web of Spider-Man tie in issues), the Jurassic Park movie adaptation and my favourite from this period Punisher 2099.
I’d probably forgotten about the hulking purple bum Maxx till I found issue three of Friends of Maxx at a trash and treasure a couple of years later. It was part two of a two-part tale, it didn’t even contain the Maxx except maybe for a page or two. I’ve probably read this comic dozens of times and most likely will pull it out once or twice every few years whether it’s reading it by itself or after issue two and sometimes issues one and two. This comic went along way to shaping the comic reader I’ve become. As well as being one of the first comics I read just about ‘people’, it’s also started a long period of my youth where I tried to draw like Sam Keith. This comic is also probably responsible for me still reading comics today because it opened me up to non-superhero comics which was pretty much all I read for a few years between being burnt out on X-men till around the time of the launch of the Marvel Knights line. I remember during this times hocking my beat up G.I. Joe’s to buy up as many back issues of the Maxx as I could, not all of them, it took me a bit long to track them all down.
At the start of this week I listened ifanboy’s Ron Richards great interview with Sam Keith(here) that got the ball rolling for me again. So this week has been a bit of catching up for me starting with Four Women, which was where I left off with Keith however many years ago. So far it’s been lots fun (not the themes of Four Women) reading a Keith comic after such a long time, next stop is My Inner Bimbo and I might also dig up my issues of Zero Girl before eventually going back to where it began for me with Friend of Maxx #3.

No comments:

Post a Comment