Monday, March 2, 2009

Teenage Wasteland: Article 21 - Definitely Not to Be


As a whole, as a complete portrait, as one idea I think Hamlet is a strong example of human frailty. But, the actual act of reading and digesting is not close to being an enjoyable journey. This opinion is mainly due to the seemingly impenetrable dialect, diction, and flow of Shakespeare, which creates a universal tone blanketing the entire work. With Shakespeare at the helm, no character has a particular voice, tone, or attitude. Everyone from the noble lord to a common groundling sounds exactly the same. With that in mind, it is quite easy for me to forget the characters, the situation, what is at stake, and overall just not care. Shakespeare is a genre and language I just do not buy into.

Now, when asking for specifics, it is not an easy task. Hamlet seems like one long, dreary blur of an experience; for its lack of significance, my mind will not allow it to waste the space of my mental data base and recollection…*Deep Breath*…But, that is the point of this paper, isn’t it.

In attempt to lay quotation, I will provide the short list of lines that actually managed to hold my attention for longer than a second. The first is found within Act I: Hamlet is seeking out the apparition, only to be victim to this chilling line – “Murder most foul, as in the best it is, but this most foul, strange, and unnatural.” With these instructions, Hamlet’s fate is set, and evil takes the lead. For me personally, this line seemed to actually carry some weight compared to everything else.

To cap off my list of likeable lines, I will go with a single couplet: “The play’s the thing wherein I’ll catch the conscience of the king.” The ending to Act II sets a moment of foreshadowing and actual understanding of the situation. This was the only point in the play I felt a bit happy to be reading. Also, I think it is the singular moment where the reader actually catches an attribute of a character: Hamlet is truly pretty clever.

Monotone is probably the kindest possible way I could describe the journey. Again, the idea and concept as an entire picture is brilliant, but the journey made me want to chuck the book across the room. I just need to stay away from Shakespeare. Art is certainly meant to drag emotion out from its audience but never the feeling of physical anger. Hamlet fails to provide the escape that all stories should; it only left me with frustration. Godspeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment